• Question: What qualifications do you need to assist and help people diagnose mental illnesses

    Asked by Mitchhpp to Dennis on 12 Jun 2019.
    • Photo: Dennis Relojo-Howell

      Dennis Relojo-Howell answered on 12 Jun 2019:

      To be a counsellor or psychotherapist you need to be registered with BACP (or other professional bodies). They are the professional association for members of the counselling professions in the UK.

      On BACP-accredited courses, you must have at least 1.5 hours of supervision a month. You should have at least one hour of supervision for every eight hours of client work.

      You can find accredited courses here: https://www.bacp.co.uk/search/Courses